I get lost inside myself WAAAAY too much. As a result, I whine and complain about all the things I’m not happy about. I get consumed by self pity and the end result is one big, ugly mess.
I have friends with teenagers. Sometimes those teenagers get whiny. When they get real whiny, the parents will tell them, “I think it’s time to write a gratitude list.”
My husband once told me that same line. I wanted to punch him. I wasn’t done with my pity party yet. I refrained from my desired action and upon further contemplation, realized he was exactly right (as usual).
When I write a gratitude list, I make a list of ten items. No less. Rather than just picking a couple things, ten makes me think hard and dig deep into all the good in my life.
Part of worship is thankfulness. Bringing to God all the wonderful things He has done for us and thanking Him for it. I want to offer my gratitude here at rebooting worship, and allow you to offer yours. On the first Monday of each month, I will post my gratitude list. Lord knows I desperately need that reminder of all the good in my life.
So here’s my first one. I am thankful for:
1. People who are genuinely interested in how I’m doing. Someone unexpected went out of their way last week to come say hi and see how I was doing. It wasn’t just a “hit and run” conversation.
2. Rain. I love rain, and we got lots of it last week. (Thanks Tropical Storm Debby.) I also love how an afternoon rain shower dramatically cools down the hot, summer days that I really don’t like.
3. Being safe and dry. As much as I love rain, I love being snuggled up in my pjs watching it from my window. I was thankful to not have to venture out in the rain too much, and to not have any problems with flooding.
4. My amazing husband. I shared recently how we just celebrated four years of marriage. I am blessed with a man who makes me laugh all the time. We have a lot of fun.
5. A church service filled with people that I am beginning to connect with. I’ve been guarded and jaded for awhile. I’m slowly coming out of my shell.
6. Lots of friends, online and in real life. I am blessed with some great people and I love the new friends I’ve connected with via blogging.
7. Coffee. It’s one of the best parts of my morning routine.
8. Bubble baths.
9. My nephews. I have a ten and six year old nephew, and last weekend I invited them to sleep over at my house. We had a blast, and a game of tag showed me how desperately out of shape I am.
10. Music. I am finding that music music still speaks to me. Lately my soul has found a lot of peace in a J.S. Bach Pandora station.
What’s on your gratitude list today?